Welcome to Prompt!
Our mission: make students better writers
We’re looking to hire talented writing coaches for part-time positions with flexible hours, good pay, and an opportunity to help students improve their writing!
We’re currently helping thousands of students develop compelling college admissions essays. Why college essays? Because students are invested in the writing and open to feedback.
Our coaches provide actionable, insightful, and generative writing feedback to meet students where they are and help them gain confidence in their writing. We have a passion for a story well told, for unique insights that jump off the page, and for empowering students to share their voices.
That’s where you come in!
The Writing Coach Position
Writing Coaches are 1099 contract employees who help us with college admissions essays from now until January.
We ask our coaches to work at least 8 hours per week from September - December, with availability leading up to major deadlines on November 1 and January 2. Coaches can choose which days and times to work! We use an estimated editing time to determine the pay amount for each review, which is based on a $28/hour pay rate.
We are currently prioritizing applicants who have an interest and availability in being a Video Coach. Video coaches work with students through one-to-one video calls to brainstorm and guide essay revision. They also provide feedback on all of their students’ essays. These coaches do need to have more availability and will be hired as W2 employees. While teaching and/or tutoring experience can be helpful, they are not required for this work.
Our Application Process
We’re looking to hire people who have availability to start right away.
- You will start with a two-part application that should take you around 30-45 minutes.
- If your application is approved, you will move on to our training courses. Our evaluation period consists of three courses and a total of 4 test essays. You will be compensated $150 for completing all of these test essays, with prorated payment if you do not advance through any point in our evaluation process.
- We would like for you to get through all of the courses and test essays within 10 days from your application being accepted. If you meet this goal, we’ll add an extra $100 bonus on top of your compensation for the test essays.
- Once you get through training, you’ll start working live with students!
A few important notes before you begin our application:
- We are not a proofreading service. Our work involves providing comprehensive feedback (including brainstorming questions, in-text suggestions, and example outlines) to help students elevate their essays and develop writing skills. For this reason, we prioritize applicants with demonstrated experience in teaching, tutoring, and professional writing/editing. However, we have coaches from many backgrounds beyond writing and education, including STEM.
- Prompt requires all of our Writing Coaches to hold an undergraduate degree from a four-year institution. Many of our Writing Coaches also hold graduate degrees, and most have studied literature or writing at the university level. If you do not currently have a completed bachelor's degree, please do not apply this year.
- At Prompt, we aim to help students of all backgrounds and abilities achieve their goals. We’re also committed to an inclusive environment among our Writing Coaches and our full-time staff. Being thought leaders in our field is only possible through the diverse and valued perspectives of our team, and we happily welcome applicants of all backgrounds, including gender identity, sexuality, disability, age, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, race, nationality, religion, and culture.